Baked Potato Rolls
Light and fluffy dinner bread rolls made up of flour, eggs, and a baked potato.
total time: 3 hours
recipe by: Frankie
- 1 large russet potato (about 14 ounces)
- 1 packet (about 2 tsp) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups bread flour plus a little extra
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Scrub the potato and poke several holes all over using a fork. Place the potato in the preheated oven and bake until tender, about 1 hour. Take the potato out of the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Cut the potato in half lengthwise and scoop out the white flesh into a large mixing bowl, discard the skins. Use a fork to thoroughly mash the potatoes and then set aside.
- In a separate small bowl mix together the yeast and water and set aside.
- Add the butter, salt, flour, and 1 of the eggs to the mashed potatoes and stir until thoroughly combined. Pour the yeast/water mixture in with the potato mixture. Use your hands to mix everything together until a dough is formed then knead the dough by hand for about 2 minutes.
- Form the dough into a ball and transfer to a large clean bowl. Drizzle the dough with the olive oil and flip around a couple times to coat in the oil. Loosely cover the bowl and set in a warm place to rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Punch down the dough and separate into 12 equal size balls. Lay the dough balls in the lined baking dish about 1/2-inch apart and sprinkle the tops with just a little bit of flour. Let sit uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Lightly beat the remaining egg then brush the tops of the rolls with some of the beaten egg, discarding any leftover egg.
- Bake the rolls in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 25 minutes.
The mix did NOT rise at all.
followed instructions exactly.