1 lb beef chuck cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP unsalted butter
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 ribs of celery, diced
1 medium carrot, diced
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups beef broth
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup wild rice
salt & pepper
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
1. Generously season the cubed beef with salt and pepper.
2. Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat and brown the beef on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove the beef and any remaining liquid to a bowl and set aside.
3. Melt the butter in the now empty dutch oven and add the onion, celery and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft, about 6 minutes.
4. Stir in the the sliced mushrooms and garlic and cook for 3 more minutes.
5. Pour in the broths and scrape the bottom of the pot to release any stuck on bits. Add the wild rice and bring to a boil.
6. Return the beef and any liquid back into the pot and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until rice is tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.