3 thick slices of bacon, diced
2 lbs pork loin cut into 1-inch cubes
1 lb kielbasa sausage, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
1 large yellow onion, chopped
25 ounces sauerkraut, rinsed, drained and chopped (about 5 cups)
1/2 head of cabbage, chopped (about 5 cups)
1 cup beef broth
1 cup chicken broth
1 large apple, peeled, cored and grated
1 tsp allspice berries
1 tsp black peppercorns
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper
Total Time: 4 hours
1. Cook the bacon in a dutch oven over medium heat until crispy, place cooked bacon on a plate and set aside, leaving the bacon fat in the pot.
2. Combine the cut pork and kielbasa together and in batches cook until browned on all sides, about 8-10 minutes per batch. Return all the pork back to the pot including the bacon.
3. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until onions are just beginning to brown.
4. Add the broths and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spon or spatula to release any stuck on bits.
5. Add the sauerkraut, cabbage, apple, allspice, peppercorns, and bay leaves into the pot. Stir everything well to combine.
6. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 hours. Salt and pepper to taste.
For best flavor refrigerate after cooking and reheat the next day to allow flavors to meld. Goes great with a crusty loaf of bread.