Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup long-grain brown rice
- 4 cups water
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- olive oil
- 4 burger buns (I used Brioche buns)
- 4 slices of cheese (I used Colby Jack)
- condiments of your choice (mustard, mayo, lettuce, etc.)
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Cook while stirring about 1 minute.
- Add the lentils and rice and stir to combine.
- Pour in the water and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan and reduce heat to low. Allow to simmer for 45 minutes, DO NOT REMOVE THE LID FROM THE PAN!
- Drain the cooked rice and lentils of any excess liquid and discard.
- Place the rice and lentil mixture into a large mixing bowl and allow to cool, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the eggs, Parmesan, breadcrumbs, salt, and pepper.
- Using your hands to form the mixture into 4 even sized patties roughly 4 inches in diameter. Place the patties on a plate, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Place the patties on the baking sheet and bake in the oven for 25 minutes, carefully flipping them over halfway through cooking.
- Pull the patties out of the oven, Place a slice of cheese on each patty and wait for the cheese to melt.
- Place the patties on buns along with any condiments you like.