A Cajun dish consisting of vegetables stewed in a light brown roux with seasoned catfish and served with rice.
total time: 1 hour
recipe by: Frankie
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 6 TBSP peanut oil
- 6 TBSP all-purpose flour
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 rib of celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 pound catfish fillets, rinsed and cut into 4-inch pieces
- 4 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
- In a small bowl mix together the garlic powder, 1 tsp salt, cayenne, and thyme. Divide the seasoning mix in half, put half of it into a large bowl and keep the other half in the small bowl.
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. When the oil is hot stir in the flour and cook while continually stirring until a blonde colored roux is formed, about 2 minutes. Add in the seasoning mix from the small bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the onion, bell peppers, and celery and stir to combine. Cook until vegetables have softened a bit, about 6 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to stir often and scrape the bottom of the pan to prevent sticking.
- Add in 2 cups of water, 1/4 tsp salt, and the bay leaf and stir to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Simmer over low heat, stirring often, about 30 minutes.
- While the vegetables simmer make your rice: Add the uncooked rice, 1-1/2 cups water, and 1/4 tsp salt to a medium size saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Stir to combine and place a lid on the saucepan. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes without removing the lid. Take off the heat while keeping the lid on and let sit, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Pat the catfish pieces dry with a paper towel. Put the catfish pieces in the large bowl of seasoning mix. Toss to coat and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. When the butter begins sizzling add the catfish pieces to the pan. Cook the catfish until browned on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Place the catfish in the dutch oven on top of the vegetables and pour any leftover butter from the pan over top. Cover the dutch oven and simmer over low heat until catfish is cooked through and flaky, about 4 more minutes.
- Sprinkle the green onion and parsley over the catfish and vegetables. Fluff the rice with a fork and serve the fish and vegetables with the rice.
cajun recipescatfish recipesetoufee recipesspicy recipesfish recipesseafood recipesstews recipesmain_dishes recipes