Chicken and Brown Rice Soup
A homemade chicken and rice soup made with bone-in chicken thighs, brown rice, and fresh vegetables.
total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
recipe by: Frankie
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ribs of celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 7 cups water
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain brown rice
- Generously season the chicken thighs with salt & pepper.
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot sear the chicken thighs skin-down down until skin is browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Keep the heat at medium-high and add the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 1 minute.
- Stir in the water, rosemary, rice, and 1 tsp salt. Return the chicken thighs to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for about 45 minutes or until chicken is very tender.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate then shred the chicken discarding the skin and bones.
- Stir the shredded chicken back into the pot then taste the soup and season with additional salt & pepper if needed.
chicken recipesbrown recipesrice recipessoup recipesbudget-friendly recipesdairyfree recipesglutenfree recipespoultry recipesthighs recipes