A casserole made up of spaghetti, chicken, tomatoes, bell peppers, mozzarella, and sharp cheddar cheese.
total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
recipe by: Frankie
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs
- salt & pepper
- 4 TBSP unsalted butter
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes, small chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, small chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 pound uncooked spaghetti, broken into 2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Add the chicken and 1 tsp salt to a large pot or dutch oven. Add enough water to the pot to cover the chicken and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the pot. Simmer until chicken is cooked through and tender, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate reserving 2 cups of the cooking water from the pot.
- Pull the chicken meat off the bones and discard any skin and bones. Shred the chicken meat using two forks then set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Clean out the pot and melt the butter in the pot over medium heat. When the butter is melted add the tomatoes and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, oregano, garlic, cayenne, 3/4 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper until well combined.
- Slowly pour in the milk and the 2 cups of reserved cooking water then increase the heat to medium-high and bring to boil.
- Stir in the spaghetti and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring often, for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked chicken and mozzarella cheese then transfer the contents of the pot into a 9x13-inch baking dish and sprinkle the top with the cheddar cheese.
- Bake uncovered in the preheated oven until bubbly and the cheese on top is melted and bubbly, about 10 minutes.