Dark Rye Sandwich Bread
A hearty homemade rye sandwich bread seasoned with caraway seeds and a touch of cocoa powder.
total time: 2 hours 30 minutes
recipe by: Frankie
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 packet (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups medium rye flour
- 2 1/4 cups bread flour plus a little extra
- 2 TBSP unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 TBSP caraway seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP plus 1 TBSP olive oil plus a little extra
- Pour the warm water into a large mixing bowl and sprinkle the yeast on top. Add the flours, cocoa powder, caraway seeds, salt, and 1 TBSP of olive oil and stir until well combined.
- Knead the dough by hand in the bowl for about 10 minutes.
- Drizzle 1 TBSP of olive oil over the dough then flip the dough ball around a couple times to coat in the oil. Loosely cover the bowl and set aside to rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Lightly oil the inside bottom and sides of a 8x4-inch metal loaf pan. Transfer the dough to the oiled loaf pan and press the dough in the pan so its even and reaches the corners of the pan then set aside in a warm place to rise again, about 30 more minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes (The bread should have an internal temperature of about 190°F and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom).
- Take the bread out of the oven and let sit for 5 minutes then use a thin spatula to carefully remove the bread from the pan and transfer to a cooling rack. Cool for about 30 minutes before slicing.
dark recipesrye recipessandwich recipesbread recipesdairyfree recipesvegan recipesvegetarian recipesgerman recipes