Easy Irish Soda Bread
A no-yeast no-knead rustic bread with a hard crusty exterior and a dense but soft interior.
total time: 45 minutes
recipe by: Frankie
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 TBSP white vinegar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour plus a little extra
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Dust a baking sheet well with flour and set aside.
- Mix together the milk and vinegar in a glass. Set aside until for about 10 minutes to allow milk to curdle.
- Add the curdled milk to a large mixing bowl then stir in the flours, baking soda, and salt until well combined and a dough is formed.
- Scrape the dough onto the baking sheet and form the dough into a round disk shape roughly 1-inch thick.
- Use a knife to score a shallow X-shape in the top of the dough.
- Bake the dough in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until cooked through, when done the bread will sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Take the bread out of the oven and place on a cooling rack for at least 30 minutes.