1 TBSP cooking oil
1 cup diced onion
15 oz can of black beans, including liquid
4 oz can green chiles
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
6 oz cream cheese
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup diced jalapenos
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
1. In a medium size saucepan heat the oil over medium-high heat, add the onions and cook until they begin to brown, about 4 minutes.
2. Add the beans(with the liquid in the can) and crushed garlic, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Pour into a food processor or blender along with the green chiles and blend until smooth.
4. Return beans to the saucepan over low heat along with the cream cheese, cumin, chili powder and salt. Stir until well combined and cream cheese has melted.
5. Pour into a glass dish or container, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow flavors to meld and dip to set.
6. Sprinkle on the cheddar cheese and top with the jalapenos.
7. Serve with tortillas chips.