French Onion Braised Chicken
Crispy skin chicken thighs braised in caramelized onions, sherry, and herbs.
total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
recipe by: Rae
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 4 chicken thighs, bone-in skin-on
- 2 large yellow onions julienne, about 5 cups
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup cooking sherry
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Optional: crusty french bread
- Heat a 10 inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil.
- Season the chicken thighs liberally with salt and pepper, place skin side down and cook for 4-5 minutes or until the skin is well browned. Turn and cook for 3-5 minutes. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add the onions to the pan and stir well. Add the butter, thyme, black pepper, and kosher salt. Reduce the heat to medium-low, stirring occasionally to caramelize the onions, cooking for about 15-20 minutes.
- In the meantime preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Once the onions are softened and a deep brown color add the sherry and cook down until the liquid is syrupy and the pan is mostly dry.
- Add the water, place the chicken back into the pan, trying not to submerge the chicken skin. Bring to a boil and then place in the oven and bake the chicken until cooked through ( 180 degrees F internal temp), about 45 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Serve the onions topped with the chicken.