Fried Cumin & Citrus Pulled Pork
Pork butt braised in the slow cooker with fragrant spices and fresh fruit juices perfect for filling a taco, burrito, sandwich, or just topping a delicious rice or quinoa bowl.
total time: 8 hours 15 minutes
recipe by: Rae
- 4 1/2 pounds bone-in pork butt (shoulder)
- 1 1/2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 1/2 TBSP ground cumin
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- zest & juice of 1 orange
- zest & juice of 1 lemon
- zest & juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp salt
- dash cayenne pepper
- Place the pork butt into the slow cooker.
- In a small sauté pan heat the olive oil over medium-high heat just until you see the first wisps of smoke. Add the cumin and stir quickly until aromatic and slightly darker in color, taking care not to burn the spice.
- Pour the cumin oil over the pork butt in the slow cooker.
- Add the onion, garlic, the juice of the orange, lemon, and lime (keep the zest to the side), salt, and cayenne pepper to the slow cooker.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker and allow to sit for 15 minutes, then pull apart and discard the bone.
- Sprinkle with the zest and toss together. Add some or all of the liquid from the slow cooker to the pork and season with salt & pepper if needed.
fried recipescumin recipescitrus recipespulled recipespork recipesslowcooker recipescrock-pot recipesdairyfree recipeseasy recipesglutenfree recipesshoulder recipesmexican recipesmain_dishes recipes