Garlicky Chicken and Red Onion Pizza
total time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- THE DOUGH:
- 1 packet active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP plus 1 tsp olive oil
- THE TOPPINGS:
- 1 TBSP olive oil plus a little extra
- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces provolone cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- THE DOUGH:
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the yeast and warm water. Stir in the flours, salt, and 1 TBSP olive oil until well combined and a dough is formed.
- Knead the dough by hand for about 5 minutes on a lightly floured surface.
- Form the dough into a ball and place in a large clean bowl. Drizzle 1 tsp of olive oil over the dough and flip around a few times to coat in the oil. Cover the bowl and put in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour.
- THE PIZZA ASSEMBLY:
- Preheat then oven to 475°F.
- Add the sliced chicken to a bowl and drizzle the 1 TBSP of olive oil over the chicken. Sprinkle 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper onto the chicken then stir to coat evenly.
- Add the chicken to a skillet over medium-high heat and cook, stirring often, until chicken is no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes (depending on how thick your chicken slices are). Take the chicken off the heat and set aside.
- Stretch the dough out onto a lightly oiled 16-inch pizza pan or large baking sheet.
- In a small bowl mix together the mayonnaise and garlic then spread evevnly onto to pizza dough.
- Sprinkle the provolone and Parmesan cheese evenly onto the pizza dough then top evenly with the red onion and chicken.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the pizza crust is crisp and lightly browned, 14 to 17 minutes.