German Wrapped Sausages
Homemade German-style sausages wrapped in dough then sprinkled with caraway seeds and baked in the oven.
total time: 50 minutes
recipe by: Frankie
- 1 pound ground pork
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- optional: prepared mustard for serving
- Mix together all the SAUSAGE ingredients in a bowl until well combined.
- Divide the sausage mixture into 8 evenly sized balls (roughly 2 ounces each).
- Form the sausage balls into links roughly 4-inches long.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot cook the sausage links, turning occasionally, until browned, about 7 minutes total. Transfer the cooked sausages to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Brush a baking sheet with the olive oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, milk, and butter until well combined then knead the dough by hand for a few minutes.
- Separate the dough into 8 equal size pieces then roll the dough pieces into balls.
- Working one at a time flatten a dough ball into an oval roughly 4-inches long. Place a sausage link on one end of the dough oval then roll and seal so that the sausage is wrapped in dough with the ends of the sausage sticking out on each end. Place the wrapped sausage seam-side down on the baking sheet and wrap the remaining sausages the same way.
- Brush the tops of the dough with a little of the beaten egg then sprinkle the caraway seeds on top.
- Bake the sausages in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until dough is lightly browned.
- Serve the sausages by themselves or with prepared mustard on the side for dipping.
german recipeswrapped recipessausages recipespastry recipespork recipessausage recipesground recipesappetizers recipes