Gnocchi Mac and Cheese
Homemade potato gnocchi in a creamy cheddar cheese sauce.
total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
recipe by: Frankie
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour plus extra
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/3 cups heavy cream
- 4 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover completely with water then bring to a boil.
- Boil the potatoes until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes then place them into a large bowl and mash well.
- Stir the flour, eggs, and 1 tsp salt into the mashed potatoes until well combined and a dough is formed.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Sprinkle a work surface with a little flour then roll the dough out into about 6 ropes each roughly 1/2-inch thick.
- Cut the ropes into roughly 1/2-inch pieces then sprinkle a little flour over the gnocchi pieces to prevent them from sticking together.
- Drop the gnocchi, in batches, into the boiling water. Once the gnocchi float to the top remove them with a slotted spoon and lay them in a large bowl. Continue cooking the rest of the gnocchi.
- Add the heavy cream, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp black pepper to a saucepan over medium heat.
- Heat the heavy cream, stirring often, until just beginning to boil.
- Stir the cheeses in with the heavy cream a little bit at a time until fully incorporated.
- Pour the cheese sauce into the bowl with the gnocchi and gently stir to combine.
- Season with additional salt & pepper to taste.
gnocchi recipesmac recipescheese recipespasta recipespotato recipesvegetables recipesvegetarian recipesitalian recipesmain_dishes recipes