Hearty Mushroom and Farro Soup
A hearty soup full of mushrooms, vegetables, and whole grain farro all flavored with garlic and fresh sage.
total time: 1 hour
recipe by: Frankie
- 1 cup whole grain farro
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 medium celery rib, diced
- 1 pound white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound cremini (baby bella) mushrooms, sliced
- salt & pepper
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 TBSP freshly chopped sage leaves
- Rinse the farro thoroughly under cold water in a mesh strainer and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are browned, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds.
- Add the vegetable broth, bay leaves, sage and farro to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until farro is cooked, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.