Italian Portobello and Pepper Sandwiches
Portobello caps roasted and stuffed with sauteed onions, peppers and Italian spices, topped with provolone and served on a toasted bun with a spicy aioli.
total time: 25 minutes
recipe by: Frankie
- 2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- 2 TBSP olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps, stems and gills removed
- 2 medium bell peppers, stemmed seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 thin slices provolone cheese
- 2 sandwich buns, toasted
- Spicy Aioli
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- dash salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a small bowl mix together the balsamic vinegar, 1 TBSP of the olive oil, and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Place the portobello caps in a baking sheet and brush them all over thoroughly with the balsamic mixture.
- Bake the portobellos stem side down in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Heat the remaining 1 TBSP oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot add the bell peppers and onion and saute, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are slightly softened, about 10 minutes. Take off the heat.
- Stir the basil, parsley, oregano and Parmesan into the onion and pepper mixture until well combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Flip the portobellos over so theyre stem side up and fill them with the pepper mixture and top them with the sliced provolone cheese.
- In a small bowl mix together the Spicy Aioli ingredients.
- Serve the portobellos on the toasted sandwich buns with the Spicy Aioli.