One Pot Ground Pork and Mushroom Penne
A quick and easy pasta dish consisting of penne pasta simmered with ground pork, mushrooms, tomatoes, and Italian seasonings.
total time: 30 minutes
recipe by: Frankie
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground fennel seed
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces roma tomates, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound uncooked penne pasta
- 1 ounce freshly grated Parmesan
- Add the ground pork to a dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat and cook, while breaking up the pork, until no longer pink, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in the oregano, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, fennel, crushed red pepper, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp black pepper until well combined.
- Add the mushrooms and tomatoes to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add the water to the pot. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to scrape the bottom of the pot to release anything stuck on the bottom and bring to a boil.
- When it begins boiling stir in the uncooked pasta then reduce the heat to medium-low and place a lid on the pot. Simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender, around 15 minutes.
- Take off the heat and stir in the parmesan cheese then taste and season with additional salt & pepper as needed.