Ji Rou Fan (Taiwanese Chicken Rice)
Chicken braised with Sichuan peppercorns and ginger then served over steamed jasmine rice with crispy fried shallots and fresh cilantro.
total time: 1 hour
recipe by: Frankie
- 1 TBSP plus 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 TBSP freshly minced ginger
- 3 TBSP soy sauce
- 1 TBSP Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- 2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 TBSP cornstarch
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- Heat 1 TBSP of peanut oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the hot oil and cook until chicken is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Stir the ginger, soy sauce, and peppercorns in with the chicken. Pour in 2 cups of water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, place a lid on the dutch oven and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- While the chicken simmers start your rice: Stir together the rice and 1 1/2 cups of water in a medium size saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil then cover the pan and reduce the heat to low. Keep the pan covered and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes, DO NOT REMOVE THE LID. Take the pan off the heat and set aside for 15 minutes, DO NOT REMOVE THE LID DURING THIS TIME EITHER.
- Toss the shallot slices in the cornstarch. Heat the 1/2 cup peanut oil in a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot add the shallots and cook, stirring often, about 2 minutes or until shallots are lightly browned. Use a slotted spoon and transfer the shallots to a paper towel to drain.
- Using a slotted spoon transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside. Remove the peppercorns from the liquid using a spoon or fine mesh sieve. Return the chicken back into the liquid and return to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, until the liquid is reduced to about 1/2 cup, 15 to 20 more minutes.
- Serve the chicken over the steamed rice and top with the fried shallots and freshly chopped cilantro.
ji recipesrou recipesfan recipestaiwanese recipeschicken recipesrice recipesdairyfree recipesglutenfree recipespoultry recipesthighs recipesasian recipesmain_dishes recipes