Khobz (Moroccan White Bread)
A traditional Moroccan white bread that is flat and round.
total time: 2 hours
recipe by: Frankie
- 1 packet (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 cups bread flour plus a little extra
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 tsp cornmeal
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the yeast and water.
- Add 3 cups of the flour and the salt to the bowl and mix until well combined.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the dough then use your hands to knead the dough for about 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal size pieces then use your hands to roll each piece into a ball.
- Sprinkle the cornmeal onto a large baking sheet then place the dough balls on the baking sheet spread out from one anther.
- Sprinkle a little flour over the dough balls then loosely cover with a towel and let sit for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the towel and use your hands to flatten the balls into disks roughly 1/4-inch thick then use a fork to poke several holes on top of the dough disks.
- Loosely cover the dough disks with a towel then set aside to rise for about 1 more hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Bake the breads in the preheated oven for about 18 minutes or until the breads are lightly browned and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Take the breads out of the oven and allow to cool.
khobz recipesmoroccan recipeswhite recipesbread recipesdairyfree recipesvegan recipesvegetarian recipesafrican recipes