1 TBSP olive oil
1 large onion, diced (about 2 cups)
2 ribs celery, diced (about 1/2 cup)
1 large carrot, diced (about 1/2 cup)
2 cloves garlic, minced
14 oz can diced tomatoes
3 cups vegetable broth
3 cups water
1 cup lentils, rinsed
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp dry basil
1/2 tsp dry oregano
salt & pepper
6 slices whole grain bread
3 slices cheddar cheese
3 TBSP unsalted butter, softened
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
1. Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery and carrots and cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the garlic and cook 30 seconds or until fragrant.
2. Add the tomatoes(and juice from the can), vegetable broth, water, lentils, bay leaves, basil, oregano and 1/2 tsp salt. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 1 hour. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place a slice of cheddar between 2 slices of bread to make 3 sandwiches. Butter the outer slices of bread on each sandwich evenly with the butter.
5. Place sandwiches on a baking sheet and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 8 minutes then flip the sandwiches and bake an additional 5 minutes or until desired crispiness.
6. Allow sandwiches to cool 5 minutes then cut into small squares and serve on top of the soup.