An Asian dish originating from Macao consisting of a ground meat and potato hash served over rice and topped with a fried egg.
total time: 40 minutes
recipe by: Frankie
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 TBSP plus 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 TBSP raw honey
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 8 ounce potato, peeled and small cubed
- 4 large eggs
- Add the rice, salt, and water to a medium size saucepan, stir to combine and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to low. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes without removing the lid. Take the pan off the heat while keeping the lid on and set aside for 15 minutes, make sure to keep the lid on the pan the whole time.
- Heat the 1 TBSP of oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the shallot and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the beef and pork and cook while breaking up the meat until the meat is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Stir in the soy sauce, honey, and black pepper and cook 2 more minutes. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- Wipe out the wok and heat the 1/4 cup oil over medium-high heat. When oil is hot add the potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until crispy, about 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon transfer the potatoes to a paper towel lined plate to drain any excess oil. Add the potatoes to the meat mixture and stir to combine.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and divide it evenly into mounds among 4 plates. Divide the meat mixture on top of the rice and set the plates aside.
- Keep any leftover oil in the wok and heat it over medium heat. Working one at a time, carefully crack an egg into a small bowl then gently slip the egg into the hot oil in the wok. Fry the egg until the whites are crispy around the edges and the yolk is cooked to your liking. Transfer the egg to one of the plates on top of the meat and rice. Continue with the remaining eggs.
macanese recipesminchee recipesglutenfree recipesbeef recipespork recipesasian recipeschinese recipesmain_dishes recipesground recipes