Mango Sticky Rice
A traditional Thai dessert made with glutinous rice, fresh mango and coconut milk.
total time: 4 hours to soak rice, 30 minutes to prepare
recipe by: Frankie
- 1 cup glutinous (sticky) rice
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 TBSP raw honey
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled and diced
- Place the rice in a large bowl and rinse several times in cold water until the water in the bowl is clear. When thoroughly rinsed cover the rice in cold water, about 1-inch of water above the rice. Cover the bowl and allow to soak for at least 4 hours up to 12 hours.
- Drain the rice and transfer to a medium saucepan with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat then reduce heat to medium-low and partially cover with a lid. Cook, without stirring, until the water has been absorbed, about 10 minutes (you can tilt the pan to check if the water is gone).
- Take the pot off the heat, Fully cover the pot with the lid and allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- In a separate small saucepan add the coconut milk, salt, and honey. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until heated through (do not boil).
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the rice and all but 1/4 cup of the coconut milk mixture until thoroughly combined. Let sit until the rice has absorbed the coconut milk, about 10 minutes.
- Serve the rice topped with the diced mango and drizzled with the remaining 1/4 cup coconut milk mixture.