Mushroom Fried Rice
Diced mushrooms and vegetables stir-fried with scrambled egg, garlic, soy sauce, and jasmine rice.
total time: 1 hour
recipe by: Frankie
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp plus 1 TBSP peanut oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 pound mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 TBSP sesame oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 TBSP soy sauce
- MAKE THE RICE: Stir together the rice, water, and 1/4 tsp salt in a medium-size saucepan over medium-high heat. When the water begins to boil cover the pan with a tight fitting lid and reduce the heat to low. Simmer over low heat, WITHOUT REMOVING THE LID, for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes turn off the heat and let the rice sit on the stove, KEEPING THE LID ON, for 15 more minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork then spread the rice out on a large baking sheet. Refrigerate the rice, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Heat a wok or large pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot drizzle the 1 tsp of peanut oil in the pan and tilt the pan to coat the bottom. Add the beaten eggs to the pan and let sit and cook for about 1 minute then use a spatula to stir and break up the eggs until set, about 1 more minute. Transfer the cooked eggs to a plate and set aside.
- Heat 1 TBSP of the peanut oil over medium-high heat in the now empty pan. When the oil is hot add the mushrooms to the pan. Cook the mushrooms, stirring often, until mushrooms are browned and any liquid in the pan has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Transfer the mushrooms to a plate lined with a paper towel and set aside.
- Wipe out the pan and increase the heat to high. Heat the sesame oil in pan over high heat. When the oil is hot add the onion and carrot then cook, stirring often, until the vegetables soften a bit, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and peas and cook, while stirring, for about 1 minute.
- Add the cooled rice to the pan and cook, stirring often, for about 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs and mushrooms back into the pan along with the soy sauce. Cook, while stirring, for about 1 more minute.
- Taste and season with additional salt & pepper if needed.