Pastrmajlija (Macedonian Style Pizza)
total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- THE DOUGH:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 packet (about 2 tsp) active dry yeast
- 1 tsp olive oil
- THE TOPPINGS:
- 1 pound boneless pork chops, cut into small cubes
- 1 TBSP olive oil plus a little extra
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 2 large eggs
- In a stand mixer or large bowl add the warm water and sprinkle the yeast over top. Add the flour and the 1 tsp salt, mix until well combined and dough pulls away from sides of bowl.
- Knead the dough 10 minutes by hand or about 5 minutes using a stand mixer with a dough hook.
- Form the dough into a ball and place in a large bowl with the 1 tsp of olive oil. Flip the dough ball around to cover in the oil then loosely cover the dough and put in a warm place to rise for about 45 minutes.
- In a large bowl add the cubed pork, the 1 TBSP olive oil, 3/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, and 1/4 tsp cayenne. Toss to combine, cover and set aside while the dough rises.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- When the dough has risen punch it down and form it into 2 equal size balls. Place the dough balls on a lightly oiled baking sheet and form each ball into an oval shape roughly 14 inches by 6 inches and roll up the edges to form a lip about 3/4 inch high all the way around.
- Brush the inside of the dough oval with the butter. Sprinkle the pork cubes on top of each dough oval then bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pizzas from the oven. Whisk the eggs in a bowl then pour evenly over the inside of the pizzas over top of the pork.
- Return the pizzas to the oven and bake for about 5 more minutes or until eggs are set and crust is golden brown.