Peppered Farro with Salsa Verde
Farro simmered with peppers, onions and garlic and drizzled with a parsley and caper puree.
total time: 30 minutes
recipe by: Rae
- 1/2 cup farro
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced red and yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- salt & pepper
- Italian Salsa Verde:
- 1 cup tightly packed parsley leaves
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 TBSP capers
- 1 TBSP red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- In a 2 quart sauce pot heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the peppers, onions, and garlic and saute until the vegetables are just starting to brown on the edges, about 2 minutes. Add the farro and cook for 2 minutes more stirring constantly. Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cover the pot. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Make the Salsa Verde: Put all but the oil into the food processor and pulse until it is broken down. Sowly drizzle in the oil with the blrnder running until well combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Fluff the farro with a fork and serve drizzled with the salsa.