Pintos and Brown Rice
Stovetop pinto beans and rice made with dried pinto beans and brown rice.
total time: 2 hours 30 minutes
recipe by: Frankie
- 1 cup dried pinto beans, thoroughly rinsed
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- salt & pepper
- Add the beans and water to a dutch oven over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Cover the dutch oven then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer the beans for 45 minutes.
- Drain the beans reserving 2 1/2 cups of the liquid.
- Return the beans to the dutch oven along with the 3 cups of reserved liquid over medium-high heat. Stir in the rice, cumin, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper and bring to a boil.
- Cover the dutch then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.
- Turn off the heat and let the beans and rice sit while covered for about 30 more minutes or until rice and beans are tender.
- Gently stir the beans and rice, taste and season with additional salt & pepper if necessary.