Total Time: 1 hour
- 12 ounces hearty, crusty, whole grain bread
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 rib medium celery, chopped
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 small head green cabbage, cored and chopped
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cut your bread into cubes and lay on a baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven until bread is dry but not browned, about 10 minutes. Remove the bread from oven and set aside.
- Drain and rinse the beans. Puree HALF of the beans in a food processor or blender with 1/2 cup of water, set aside. Set the whole beans aside as well.
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the pureed beans, potato, cabbage, kale, tomatoes, thyme, rosemary, water, and 1 tsp salt. Stir to combine and bring to a rapid boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the whole beans and bread cubes. Turn heat back up to medium-high and return to a rapid boil.
- Reduce the heat to low again and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Serve the stew topped with freshly ground pepper and grated Parmesan.