Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound Roma tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- optional: tortilla chips for serving
- Preheat the broiler on your oven and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Slice the tomatoes in half and lay on foil lined baking sheet skin-side up.
- Slice the jalapeno pepper in half lengthwise and discard the seeds. Lay the jalapenos skin-side up on the baking sheet with the tomatoes.
- Place the tomatoes and pepper in the broiler and cook until they begin to char, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Take the tomatoes and pepper out from the broiler and set aside to cool, about 10 minutes.
- When tomatoes and pepper are cool peel off the skins and discard. Roughly chop the tomatoes and pepper, put them in a blender or food processor and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, cumin, and salt to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes. Transfer to the blender with the tomatoes and pepper and blend until pureed.
- Pour the salsa into a bowl and serve with tortilla chips or use as a sauce.