Schusterpfanne (German Pork and Potato Bake)
Pork shoulder braised in the oven with potatoes and pears.
total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
recipe by: Frankie
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 pounds pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 pound firm pears peeled, cored, and quartered
- 1 pound baby potatoes, quartered
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat.
- Generously season the pork with salt & pepper then cook in the hot oil until browned on all sides, about 6 minutes.
- Stir the water and thyme into the pot then use a wooden spoon or spatula to to scrape any bits stuck to the bottom and bring to a boil.
- Transfer the contents of the pot into a 9x13-inch baking dish and push the pork to the center dish then lay the potatoes on one side of the pork and lay the pears on the other side of the pork.
- Sprinkle the caraway seeds and 1 tsp salt over the pork and potatoes.
- Cover the baking dish tightly with aluminum foil then bake in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for about 20 more minutes.
schusterpfanne recipesgerman recipespork recipespotato recipesbake recipescasserole recipesdairyfree recipesglutenfree recipesshoulder recipesmain_dishes recipes