Slow Cooker Chicken and Black Bean Soup
Mexican flavors are infused into this easy slow cooker chicken soup.
total time: 7 hours
recipe by: Rae
- 4 cups water
- 4 chicken thighs, bone in, skin on
- 2 poblano peppers, roasted, skinned & seeded and chopped
- 2 serrano peppers, sliced
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 oz diced green chiles
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ancho powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- 15 oz can black beans with their juices
- 2 TBSP cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled, skinned and sliced
- In a slow cooker combine the water and the chicken thighs, cook on HIGH for 3 hours or until the chicken is tender.
- Remove the chicken thighs from the slow cooker and set aside.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker and stir together.
- Once the chicken is cool enough to handle remove the skin and bones and discard them. Shred the thigh meat and then add it back to the slow cooker.
- Cover and turn the cooker to LOW and cook for 3 hours and up to 8 hours.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and avocado.