Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese
A creamy mac and cheese recipe made in your slow cooker.
total time: 2 hours 30 minutes
recipe by: Rae
- 1 TBSP butter, softened
- 1 pound elbow pasta uncooked
- 8 ounces sharp white cheddar
- 8 ounces Monterrey Jack cheese
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Dash nutmeg
- Butter the inside of a 5-quart slow cooker with the softened butter.
- Rinse the uncooked pasta well in cold water and shred the cheese while the pasta drains.
- Stir together the milk, cream, salt, pepper, mustard, garlic, cayenne pepper, and nutmeg in a measuring cup or bowl. Add the macaroni and cheeses in alternating layers starting with macaroni then cheese then macaroni etc., 3 layers of each. Pour the milk mixture over the layers, making sure pasta is submerged in liquid as much as possible.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 1 1/2 hours. Stir well and then continue cooking for another hour and a half stirring every 30 minutes. Pasta will be tender and liquid will be thick and creamy when done.