Slow Cooker Pork and White Beans
Bone-in pork shoulder seared then slow cooked with dried great northern beans.
total time: 7 hours
recipe by: Frankie
- 3 1/2 pound bone-in pork shoulder
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup plus 3 cups water
- 1 pound dried great northern beans, rinsed
- Pat the pork dry with paper towels then season the pork all over generously with salt & pepper. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven or large saute pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot add the pork and sear until browned all over, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer the pork to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Keep the pan over medium-high heat and add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until the onion softens and browns, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in 1 cup of water then use a wooden spoon or spatula to scrape the bottom of the pan to release any stuck on bits.
- Pour the contents of the pan into the slow cooker with the pork.
- Add the beans to the slow cooker along the sides of the pork. Add the 3 cups of water, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper into the slow cooker making sure all the beans are submerged in liquid.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6 to 7 hours, or until pork and beans are tender.
- Taste and season with additional salt & pepper if necessary.