Total Time: 8 hours
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 tomatillos, husked and chopped
- 2 TBSP tomato paste
- 2 TBSP natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup ancho chili powder
- 1 TBSP unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 pounds boneless pork butt
- salt & pepper
- tortillas, diced onions, diced avocado, and sour cream for serving
- Stir together the vegetable broth, onion, jalapeno, garlic, raisins, tomatillos, tomato paste, peanut butter, chili powder, cocoa powder, cumin, and cinnamon in a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker. Generously season the pork all over with salt & pepper. Place the pork in the slow cooker and flip a couple times to coat in the sauce. Place a lid on the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours or until pork is pull apart tender.
- Transfer just the pork to a large bowl and shred using two forks, set aside.
- Transfer all the remaining contents of the slow cooker to a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth. Season sauce with salt & pepper to taste.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the sauce in with the shredded pork and stir to combine. Serve the pork with the tortillas, diced onions, diced avocado, sour cream, and remaining sauce on the side.