Soft Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
100% whole wheat flour dinner rolls made with whole milk and egg yolks to make them soft and fluffy.
total time: 2 hours
recipe by: Frankie
- 1 cup plus 1 TBSP warm whole milk
- 1 packet ( 2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 TBSP plus 1 TBSP olive oil
- Add 1 cup of the warm milk to a large mixing bowl, sprinkle the yeast on top and stir to combine. Stir in the flour and salt until well combined.
- Stir in the egg yolks and 1 TBSP of the olive oil then knead by hand for about 5 minutes.
- Form the dough into a ball then place in a large clean bowl. Drizzle 1 TBSP of olive oil over the dough ball then flip around a few times to cover the dough in oil.
- Loosely cover the bowl and set in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Line a 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Separate the dough into 12 equal size pieces. Roll the dough pieces into smooth balls and place in the baking dish about 1/2-inch apart.
- Brush the tops of the rolls with 1 TBSP of milk then set aside for about 20 minutes to allow the rolls to rise a bit more.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Bake the rolls in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Take the rolls out of the oven and set aside to cool.
rolls recipesslider recipesbuns recipessoft recipeswhole recipeswheat recipesdinner recipesbread recipesvegetarian recipessides recipes