Spanish Chickpea and Spinach Stew
A Spanish style stew made with dried chickpeas, fresh baby spinach, and toasted almonds.
total time: 9 hours 30 minutes
recipe by: Frankie
- 8 ounces dried garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 1 TBSP plus 2 TBSP olive oil
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 2 ounces whole wheat bread, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1 roma tomato, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 TBSP red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper
- Sort through the chickpeas to remove any stones or debris. Rinse the chickpeas then place in a large bowl and cover with plenty of cold water. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Drain the chickpeas and add them to a dutch oven covered with plenty of water and 1/4 tsp salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cover the dutch oven and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer over medium-low heat while covered, stirring occasionally, until chickpeas are tender, about 1 hour. Drain the chickpeas and set aside.
- Heat 1 TBSP of olive oil in the now empty dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the spinach and cook while stirring until spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes. Transfer the spinach to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat 2 TBSP of olive oil in the now empty dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the bread cubes and almonds and cook, stirring often, until the bread is lightly toasted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer the bread and almonds to a food processor along with the tomato, garlic, vinegar, paprika, cumin, cayenne, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Blend the mixture until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture from the food processor to the dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add the chickpeas, spinach, and 1/4 cup of water and stir until well combined. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes. Taste and season with additional salt & pepper if necessary.
spanish recipeschickpea recipesspinach recipesstew recipesdairyfree recipesglutenfree recipesvegan recipesvegetarian recipeslegumes recipesstews recipes