Spicy Corn and Wild Rice Overstuffed Peppers
total time: 1 1/2 hours
- 4 oz uncooked long grain rice
- 2 oz wild rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 TBSP unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large bell peppers
- 4 cups fresh corn
- 1 red onion, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper
- Melt 1 TBSP of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add the garlic and rice and cook 30 seconds or until garlic is fragrant. Pour in the water and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low, cook without removing the lid for 25 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water and 1 tsp of salt to a boil. Cut the tops off the peppers and remove the seeds and ribs, submerge the peppers in the boiling water and cook for 5 minutes or until slightly tender. Drain peppers on paper towels.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the cooked rice, corn, onion, cayenne, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, and remaining 4 TBSP of softened butter.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place peppers open side up in a 9x13 baking dish. Overfill the peppers with the corn and rice mix and place any extra filling in the baking dish around the peppers.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.