Spicy Pot Roast with Salsa Rojo
total time: 2.5 hours
recipe by: Rae
- Pot Roast:
- 2 lb beef roast
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 TBSP Mexi Spice rub (recipe follows)
- 1.5 cups water
- Mexi Spice:
- zest of 1 orange, dried and pulverized in spice grinder ( about 3/4 TBSP)
- zest of 1 lemon, dried and pulverized in spice grinder ( about 3/4 tsp)
- zest of 1 lime, dried and pulverized in spice grinder ( about 1/2 tsp)
- 1 TBSP brown sugar
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1.5 tsp oregano
- 4.5 TBSP cumin
- 1.5 tsp granulated garlic
- 1.5 tsp chili powder
- 1.5 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- Salsa Rojo:
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced into 1 inch slices
- 2 cloves garlic, in shell
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 large vine ripened tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp Mexi-spice
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2tsp Kosher salt
- Mix the Mexi-spice together.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Place a dutch oven on the stove over high heat and a TBSP oil.
- Pat the roast dry with paper towels. Season with salt and mexi-spice.
- Once the oil in the dutch oven begins to smoke add the beef and sear on all sides.
- Add the water and bring to a boil. Cover and place in preheated oven for 2 hours.
- Place a cast iron skillet over a high burner with a touch of oil. Add the onion slices and cook till charred on one side then flip and char on the other side. Place cooked onion in a blender cup and set aside.
- In the same pan add the garlic cloves and turn a few times cooking about 5 minutes or until softened. Remove the skin and put the cloves into the blender cup with the onions.
- Remove the core from the tomatoes and cut an X in the on the bottom. Cut each tomato in half. Char the tomatoes on both sides in the same cast iron pan. Add a little more oil if needed. Remove the skins and add to the blender cup,
- Char the skin of the red pepper over the open flame of a gas stove or in the cast iron pan. Remove the skin and seeds and discard. Add the pepper flesh to the blender.
- Add the salt and mexi-spice to the blender. Puree until smooth. Then with the motor running slowly drizzle in the olive oil.
- Taste and season if needed.
- Shred the beef and serve with the sauce. Serve with tortillas or refried beans or rice.