Total Time: 1 hour prep and cook, 2 hours to chill
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 TBSP finely grated carrot
- 1/3 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 2 burger buns, toasted if desired
- optional toppings:
- sliced cheese
- Add the quinoa, water and salt to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and let cook for about 17 minutes. Remove lid, Fluff with a fork and allow quinoa to cool 5 minutes.
- Press the grated carrot with paper towels to release any moisture and place in a large mixing bowl with the quinoa, eggs, garlic, parmesan and red pepper flakes. Mix together and let sit 10 minutes (this helps bond everything).
- Mix one more time with your hands and form into two equal size patties. Place patties on a plate, cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Remove patties from the fridge and heat the oil over medium-low in a large non-stick pan. Carefully place patties in the hot pan. Cover and let cook 8 to 10 minutes or until browned then flip and cook covered another 8 to 10 minutes (burgers should be very firm by this point).
- Place burgers on buns along with any of your favorite condiments.