Stuffed Pepper Soup
Everything you would find in stuffed peppers made into a soup.
total time: 1 hour
recipe by: Rae
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 green peppers cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup rice, raw
- 28-ounce can tomato puree
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Garnish (Optional):
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat brown the ground beef, breaking it up into small crumbles. If needed, drain off the fat.
- Add the onion, peppers, and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir to coat, cook for about 3 minutes while stirring to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the broth, thyme, bay leaves, salt, pepper, and tomato puree and bring to boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until the rice is tender, stirring often to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Ladle into bowls and top with fresh parsley and Parmesan cheese.
It was good, but if I made it again I would reduce the amount of tomato puree by half and increase the beef broth by 2 cups to make it more of a brothy soup.