Thick Cut Stuffed Pork Chops
Pork chops stuffed with an onion and mushroom bread stuffing.
total time: 90 minutes
recipe by: Frankie
- THE PORK CHOPS:
- 2 thick cut boneless pork chops (about 1 lb)
- 6 cups cold water
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- THE STUFFING:
- 4 cups cubed baguette bread
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 tsp dried parsley
- 4 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Make a brine by dissolving the brown sugar and 1/4 cup of salt in the 6 cups of cold water.
- Use a sharp knife and cut a pocket in the side of each chop by working the knife inside the chop, cutting almost to the other side without cutting through it.
- Submerge the chops in the brine, cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- FOR THE STUFFING:
- In a dutch oven or large saucepan add the butter, mushrooms and onions and cook over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, thyme, parsley, 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of pepper and cook for 30 seconds.
- Take off the heat and add the bread cubes and heavy cream. Stir to combine and set aside.
- FOR THE CHOPS:
- Take the chops out of the fridge, rinse and pat dry with paper towels. Season chops on both sides liberally with salt and pepper.
- Fill the pockets of the chops with as much stuffing as you can fit in. Place remaining stuffing in the bottom of a large baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat a large saute pan with the oil over high heat until shimmering. Brown chops for 3 minutes on each side. Place chops on top of stuffing in the baking dish.
- Cover baking dish with foil and cook in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest 10 minutes.