Total Time: 10 hours
- 8 ounces dry uncooked chickpeas
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- large yellow onion, diced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 TBSP cumin
- 2 TBSP chili powder
- salt & pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- Toppings For Serving:
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 avocado, diced
- Sort through the chickpeas to remove any stones or debris. Rinse chickpeas then place in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Cover the bowl and refrigerate, allow the chickpeas to soak for at least 8 hours.
- After the chickpeas have soaked, drain and set aside. Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add the turkey to the dutch oven and cook until lightly browned, breaking it up as it cooks, about 7 minutes.
- Add the onion, jalapeno, and garlic to the dutch oven. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions soften, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, cumin, chili powder, and 1 tsp salt until well combined. Stir in the vegetable broth and chickpeas and bring to a slight boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover the dutch oven. Simmer while covered, stirring occasionally, for about 90 minutes or until chickpeas are tender.
- Uncover the dutch oven and simmer until thickened, about 10 more minutes.
- Season chili with salt & pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and add your toppings.