Vietnamese Banana Cake
A baked banana and coconut bread pudding cake sweetened only with bananas.
total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
recipe by: Frankie
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 pounds (about 8) ripe bananas
- 10 ounce baguette
- 14 ounces unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 TBSP unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Brush the inside bottom and sides of a 9x13-inch baking dish with the oil and set aside.
- Peel one of the bananas and mash it in a large mixing bowl with a potato masher.
- Tear the baguette into small pieces and place in the bowl with the mashed banana.
- Add the coconut milk, egg, melted butter, vanilla, and salt to the bowl and mix everything together until well combined.
- Peel the remaining bananas and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices and set aside.
- Lay 1/3 of the sliced bananas in a single layer in the bottom of the baking dish. Spread half the batter evenly over the sliced bananas. Lay half of the remaining sliced bananas on the batter. Spread the remaining batter evenly on top then lay the remaining sliced bananas on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour or until browned on top and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.