Total Time: 2 hours
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 packet (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 TBSP onion powder
- 1 TBSP garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- In a large mixing bowl combine the warm water and yeast. Add the flour, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper then stir until a dough is formed and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Form the dough into a ball and place on a lightly floured work surface. Knead the dough by hand for about 10 minutes the roll the dough into a smooth ball.
- Add the oil to a large bowl then place the dough ball in the bowl with the oil and flip around a couple times to coat the dough in the oil. Cover the bowl loosely and allow to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour.
- Lay the dough on your work surface and punch it down to release any air bubbles. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Use your fingers to push a hole through the middle of each dough ball then stretch to enlarge the hole to about 2-inches and form the dough into the shape of a bagel. Set the bagels to the side for about 10 minutes while you preheat the oven and bring water to a boil.
- Preheat your oven to 425°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- When the water begins boiling carefully lay the bagels two at a time (more or less depending on the size of your pot, just dont overcrowd them) to the boiling water. Boil the bagels for 45 seconds then carefully flip them over and boil for 45 more seconds. Using a slotted spatula to carefully transfer the bagels to the baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Continue this process with the remaining bagels.
- Brush the tops and sides of the bagels with some of the beaten egg. Sprinkle the sesame seeds and poppy seeds evenly on top of the bagels.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Take the bagels out of the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes.