Yayla Corbasi (Turkish Yogurt Soup)
A Turkish comfort soup made with chickpeas, rice, and yogurt.
total time: 2 hours
recipe by: Frankie
- 1/2 cup dried garbanzo beans (chickpeas), thoroughly rinsed
- 1/2 cup uncooked basmati rice, thoroughly rinsed
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 TBSP flour
- salt & freshly ground black pepper.
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter, melted
- 1 TBSP dried parsley
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Add the chickpeas and 8 cups of water to a dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Place a lid on the pot and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer the chickpeas over medium-low for 1 hour.
- After the chickpeas have been simmering for 1 hour stir the rice into the pot with the chickpeas.
- Place the lid back on the pot and simmer for about 25 more minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together the yogurt, egg yolk, flour, and 1 tsp salt.
- Whisk 1/4 cup of the cooking water from the pot into the yogurt mixture until well combined then whisk 1/4 cup more cooking water into the yogurt mixture until well combined.
- Slowly stir the yogurt mixture into the pot.
- Continue to simmer the soup, uncovered, over medium-low heat about 1 more minutes or until rice is very tender.
- In a small bowl mix together the melted butter, parsley, crushed red pepper, and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Stir the butter mixture into the soup then taste and season with salt & pepper if needed.
chickpeas recipesgarbanzo recipesyayla recipescorbasi recipesturkish recipesyogurt recipessoup recipesone-pot recipesrice recipesspicy recipesvegetarian recipeslegumes recipesmediterranean recipessoups recipes