Zharkoye (Russian Beef Stew)
A simple stew of beef and vegetables traditionally cooked in a clay pot.
total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
recipe by: Rae
- 3 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1 pound beef roast, 1-inch cubes
- 3 cups peeled cubed potatoes
- 2 cups large dice carrots
- 2 cups large dice onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- 3 TBSP sour cream, plus extra for topping
- dash of dried dill
- dash of chives
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat melt 1 TBSP of the butter. Season the beef with 1/2 tsp kosher salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Add the beef and cook until all sides are browned, turning up the heat if necessary, about 10-15 minutes. Remove the beef from the pot and set aside.
- Add another 1 TBSP of butter to the pot and return the heat to medium-high. Add the potatoes and carrots and cook until all sides are browned, about 10 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the pan, placing with the beef and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Add another 1 TBSP of butter to the pot and keep over medium-high. Add the onions and garlic and cook until all sides are browned, about 5 minutes. Add in the water and scrape up all the browning from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the beef, carrots, and potatoes back to the pan. Add 1 tsp kosher salt and 1/4 tsp pepper to the pot and stir everything together well. Cover with a tight fitting lid and cook in the oven until the beef is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Stir in the 3 TBSP sour cream and a sprinkling of dill and place in the oven for 10 minutes more.
- Serve with extra sour cream, dill, and chives for topping.