Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken
Seared bone-in chicken braised in a rich brown sauce of vegetables and spices then served over steamed rice.
total time: 4 hours
recipe by: Frankie
- 4 green onions, small chopped
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 TBSP plus 1 TBSP olive oil
- 2 pounds bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 pound freshly chopped tomatoes
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 TBSP raw honey
- 1 TBSP soy sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup uncooked white long-grain rice
- In a large bowl mix together the green onion, paprika, garlic powder, allspice, thyme, cayenne, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, and 2 TBSP olive oil. Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels then lay them in the bowl and rub them all over with the spice mix until the chicken is well coated. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Heat 1 TBSP of olive oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot place the chicken skin-side down in the hot oil. Sear the chicken until well browned on both sides, about 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside. Keep the dutch oven over medium-high heat and add the tomato, carrot, yellow onion, bell pepper, honey, soy sauce, and 1/2 tsp salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened and well browned, about 15 minutes.
- Pour in 1 cup of water and use a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom of the dutch oven to release any stuck on bits then bring to a boil.
- When it begins boiling add the chicken back into the dutch oven skin-side up and toss in the bay leaves. Cover the dutch oven and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes.
- MAKE THE RICE while the chicken simmers: Add the rice and 1 1/2 cups water to a medium size saucepan the stir and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to low. Simmer over low heat, WITHOUT REMOVING THE LID, for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat, KEEP THE LID ON, and let sit for 15 more minutes.
- Remove the lid from the dutch oven and spoon some of the stew over the chicken. Continue to simmer the chicken uncovered over medium-low heat until chicken is cooked through and the liquid has reduced, about 10 more minutes. Taste the stew and season with additional salt & pepper if needed.
- Serve the chicken stew over the steamed rice.
jamaican recipesbrown recipesstew recipeschicken recipesdairyfree recipesglutenfree recipesspicy recipespoultry recipesthighs recipesstews recipesmain_dishes recipesbudget-friendly recipes