Garlic Herb Buttermilk Roast Chicken
total time: 11 hours
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 TBSP kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 TBSP honey
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 TBSP chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp chopped fresh sage
- 2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp chopped fresh oregano
- For Roasting:
- 4 carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 2 TBSP + 1 TBSP peanut oil
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into spears
- Place the chicken in a large container. Stir all the marinade ingredients together: buttermilk, salt, pepper, honey, 1/4 cup peanut oil, garlic, parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, and oregano. Pour the marinade over the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for 8 to 48 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator 1 hour before you are ready to cook.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and stand it up in your sink for a minute or two to allow the excess marinade to drip off.
- Line the carrots in the bottom of a 12-inch cast iron skillet. Place the chicken, breast side up, on top of the carrots. Drizzle with 2 TBSP peanut oil and rub over the chicken.
- Roast in the 400 degree oven for 25 minutes. Add the broccoli around the chicken and drizzle with the remaining 1 TBSP peanut oil and cook at 400 degrees F for 20 more minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F and cook about 30-35 minutes longer, allowing the chicken to finish cooking and come to 165-175 degrees F internal temperature.
- Rest the chicken for 15 minutes before carving.