Roasted Garlic and Parmesan Soup
Roasted garlic gives this rich and creamy soup a slightly sweet flavor.
total time: 1 and 1/2 hours
recipe by: Frankie
- 4 large bulbs of garlic
- 1 TBSP olive oil plus a little extra
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 cups cubed French bread
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt & pepper
- thinly sliced green onions
- TO ROAST THE GARLIC:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Cut about 1/4 inch off the tops of the garlic bulbs exposing the tops of the cloves.
- Place the bulbs, cut side up, on a sheet of aluminum foil and drizzle a little olive oil over the garlic. Wrap the bulbs up in the foil then place on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the garlic from the oven and let sit until cool enough to touch, about 10 minutes.
- Take the skins off the cloves (the cloves should slide right out of the skins with a little squeeze) and set the cloves aside.
- TO MAKE THE SOUP:
- Melt the butter with 1 TBSP of olive oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic cloves and wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until wine has reduced down, about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Put a lid on the pot and reduce the heat to low, simmer while covered for 30 minutes.
- Take off the heat and stir in the bread and Parmesan. Pour the soup into a blender in batches or use an immersion blender to puree the soup.
- Once soup is pureed put it back on the stove over medium heat. Slowly stir in the heavy cream and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes or until heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the soup in bowls topped with croutons and green onions, if using.