Turkey and Corn Cottage Pie
Seasoned ground turkey, onion, and corn topped with buttery mashed potatoes then baked until the top of the potatoes are lightly browned and crisp.
total time: 1 hour 40 minutes
recipe by: Frankie
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- 4 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the ground turkey, onion, sage, garlic, paprika, 3/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp black pepper to the pan and cook, while occasionally breaking up the turkey, until turkey is browned and onion has softened, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the corn and 1 cup water. Use a wooden spoon to scrape any stuck on bits off the bottom of the pan then bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 20 minutes.
- Start the potatoes while the turkey mixture simmers: Add the potatoes and 1/2 tsp salt to a large pot. Cover the potatoes with water then bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Spread the turkey mixture evenly into a pie plate or baking dish and set aside.
- Drain the potatoes and set aside.
- Add the milk and butter to the now empty pot and simmer over medium-low heat until butter has melted.
- Take the pot off the heat and add the potatoes. Use a potato masher to mashed the potatoes with the milk and butter until well mashed.
- Stir 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper in with the mashed potatoes. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Spread the mashed potatoes evenly on top of the turkey mixture. Drag the tines of a fork all over the top to form ridges in the potatoes.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until potatoes begin to brown on top.
- Take out of the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
turkey recipescorn recipescottage recipespie recipescasserole recipesglutenfree recipespotato recipesvegetables recipespoultry recipesground recipesmain_dishes recipes